Update of the Update

Friday, March 26, 2010

On Wednesday when he got home from work, Bret told me that he feels like he had gotten bitten by a bug and didn't think anything of it and took Wednesday's dose of medicine. A few hours later, while he was out doing laundry at the laundromat, he called me and told me he's miserable. He is having red marks, technically hives, everywhere and they all itched like crazy; he called them "welts". They were all over his hands, legs, abdomen, and even his hairline. He then told me to see what urgent cares were open later so we could go. I was shocked because he hates going to doctors and then I knew that he was really having a serious problem. When he got home, I got to see what he looked like and I gasped. Some of these "welts" were much bigger than my hand!! We took him to Urgent care and right when they saw him, they immediately sent him back for treatment. Li and I stayed back to fill out paperwork and Bret's medical history. When we were able to go back, Bret had an IV in his left arm with 5 different medicines fighting the allergic reaction. He stayed that way for about 30 minutes. At its absolute worse, he said that it felt like he was being bit by a thousand bugs all at once. The above photo is during the IV treatment so it was actually getting better. Just imagine the hives being deeper and redder.

Then on Thursday afternoon, while Bret was at work, Liam was cuddling up with me on the couch and watching TV. He took off the blanket so he could go get his box of cereal and I was a bit surprised by what I saw. Since he just loves to sit in his diaper, I was able to see his entire body. His skin was mottled and it looked like he was having the same problem that Bret but not as bad. I called Bret at work and let him know. Since I never call the main work phone, he knew that something wasn't right. Usually, if I need to ask something, I just send him a text and he responds during his lunch. Anyway, he came home from work and he was confused too by what he saw. It didn't completely look like Bret's so it was sort of hard to figure out what was going on. We realized that it was better to be safe than sorry so we went to urgent care...again. The doctor confirmed that yup, Liam was allergic to the same medicine. He had hives all over his body in a smaller size but was still having a bit of a reaction. They took him off that medicine and put him on another called prednisolone.

A few people have wondered if the reason why both boys got sick is maybe they got part of a bad batch. But remember, Liam had a unopened bottle of liquid azithromycin and Bret had pills in a pre-dosed unopened box. They definitely didn't get a bad batch. I am honestly not surprised that Liam got sick as well; he is Bret's little mini-me. I felt so bad for them and I just hate to see anyone feel like that.

I can tell that Bret is somewhat relieved that between the powerful winds and his frantic work schedule, he is not able to go ride...despite the fact that he really wants to. He gets off at 1pm next Wednesday and is completely off next Friday, so right now we are really hoping that he can be well enough to participate in riding. As of right now, he is feeling so b-l-a-h, lethargic, and is still dealing with a deep cough.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP